For many people, the warm weather represents preparing for taking vacations, going on day trips and spending time in the sun. For others, the summer season means moving from one home to another. It can be a daunting process for many. Regardless of whether it is a local move or a long distance one, the prep is pretty much the same. Below is a breakdown of tips to help you manage that upcoming move with a little more ease.
- Boxes of all sizes
- Newsprint for wrapping items
- Bubble wrap for wrapping delicate breakables
- Packing tape
- When taping boxes, make sure the flaps meet in the center.
- Always crumble a few pieces of paper to put at the bottom of the box to act as a cushion.
- To wrap individual items, start in the corner of the paper, fold item upwards while alternately folding the paper from one side over the other.
- When packing smaller items in a bigger box, pack in layers and put paper between the layers.
- Other than soft items, everything should be wrapped to protect it during the actual moving process. Better safe than sorry.
Three Weeks Prior To The Move:
- Research moving companies.
- Get quotes based on how much you are moving and how far you are moving—local or long distance. It is best to have an in-home estimate done to get an accurate quote.
- Be sure to ask questions. A reputable company will not mind answering as many questions as you have. Some to ask are: Are there any extra charges? Do they offer packing services? How and when do you pay? Do they disassemble and reassemble furniture in the new home? Are they insured, licensed and regulated?
- Get boxes. You can either buy boxes or you can find them for free.
- Pack and purge…and label – Moving is the perfect time to get rid of things that you continue to hold onto but don’t need. If you haven’t used it, then lose it.
Two Weeks Prior To The Move:
- Book a moving company. You want to get the movers confirmed so you don’t end up scrambling at the last minute.
- Call your utility companies and have service transferred to your new home.
- Schedule cable/satellite/telephone companies for the day of the move (in the afternoon) or the day after.
- And of course…continue packing. Try to complete one room at a time if at all possible and don’t forget to pack the garage.
One Week Prior To The Move:
- Finish up the packing.
- Confirm the movers and what time they will arrive.
- Make sure you have a box or bag containing all of the important things you will need regarding the move. This should either be marked “open first” or kept with you during the move.
- ..you’re almost at the end of the tunnel.
Day Of Move:
- It’s moving day. Be proactive and oversee the movers. Make sure everything gets into the truck. Check each room to make sure they are empty.
- When unloading, know that it is the movers job to place the furniture where you would like it, not where they want to drop it.
- Boxes should be put in their respective rooms. As previously stated, marking the boxes will make this process go much faster when unpacking.
- You did it. Now take a breath and start to settle in.